Scottsdale Arts Learning & Innovation offers programs and experiences to inspire the hearts and minds of our diverse community. One of Learning & Innovation's most expansive programs, Cultural Connections Through the Arts, offers a broad range of school residencies to support classroom curriculum and to elevate aspiring artists to the next level. We are seeking artists and/or educators to lead classroom-based poetry and spoken word residency services.
Artist-educator will lead weeklong, in-school residencies for English language arts classes for grades 6-10 with goals of inspiring students to write, encouraging a deeper level of understanding of and appreciation for poetry’s usages, and, ultimately, helping them to break down barriers and build communities through stories.
Each residency is an independently contracted service. Services may begin as early as September 2021 and extend through May 2022. Residencies are typically formatted five days (one week) with one hour per day, per class. The number of classrooms served will vary by school. Residency service dates can be flexible based upon the availability of the teaching artist and classroom teacher(s). The teaching artist should be prepared to provide a structured lesson plan on each date of service.
Artist must be able to:
- Travel throughout Phoenix, Paradise Valley, and Scottsdale.
- Obtain an IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card through State of Arizona Department of Public Safety.
- Educate and engage students in a classroom setting.
- Be consistent and reliable.
- Follow all health and safety guidelines as set by local school districts and Scottsdale Arts while performing contracted duties.
- Artist will be paid for residency services at a rate of $55 per hour.
- Additional preparation hours are included.
- Approved supplies will be purchased or reimbursed.